Saturday, May 30, 2009

ACT & FAIL, FAIL & LEARN, LEARN & SUCCEED

For my 23 years of existence, I have to admit that I’ve been through a lot of painful and joyful struggles in my life, I’ve been carrying through me sweet and bitter memories of yesterdays, and throughout this journey, I always lived up to one motto and that is Act & Fail, Fail & Learn, Learn and Succeed”.

Yes, I do believe that learning from our failures is the best key ingredient for us to achieve our target success in life and I was able to prove this out. I was just a typical young boy then dreaming of so many things in life… I wanted to be a teacher and here I am now, A full pledge Educator enjoying sharing my knowledge and experiences to ordinary young minds. I wanted to be an Accountant, and here it goes, after 5 years of solving arduous long problems in accounting, burning the midnight oil and reading thick and hard to understand accounting journals and books, I am now practicing this profession on a part time basis in a reputable institution. But Did I achieve all of these easily? The answer is absolutely NO!

Enormous failures came through my life before I attain what I have right now, but these failures did not became my hindrance in not pursuing and striving again, in fact These failures became my learning ground to dream and move on all over and over again. I’ve failed many times but my whole body is stronger now because of them. I have learned a lot about facing life through my failures, I became so disciplined and knowledgeable every step of the way. In short, Failures are ongoing learning lessons that we have to live by.

This motivating matter is coincidence related to the kerygma magazine that I bought 2 days ago at St Paul located at SM City Pampanga; it is a catholic inspirational magazine. The magazine’s theme for this month’s issue is “FAIL YOU WAY TO SUCCESS! Rising each time you fail guarantees victory- and strong knees.” Sounds interesting right? Yes, indeed, but the stories featured here were not only interesting but definitely exalting and inspirational.

Let me share you 1 of the stories inside this magazine which was undeniably galvanized me and I’m sure can inspire a lot of people like you experiencing this kind of battle in life.

This is a story of a young dentist finally made it after 4 struggling takes in the dental board exam. Dr. Ariel Palma was indeed an achiever since childhood, He is not a quitter, in fact he does everything in his power and means just to attain what he wants in life, but like an ordinary person, he also possess weaknesses, when things get tough to him, he becomes complacent.

He took up dentistry for 11 years when in fact in the regular sense it must have been 6 years, but there are reasons behind these things definitely. He began taking the course in 1991 at Centro Escolar University; He even joined Singles for Christ in 1994. At the start he was not that active until he was given a great responsibility of being appointed as one of the leaders of the said organization where he has to spend extra time.

The last two years of his supposedly six year dentistry course which is more of clinical requirements was indeed made Dr. Palma experience a great battle, because it is in these years where the dentistry students have to perform actual dental procedures like tooth extraction, dental filling, oral prophylaxis, root canal, etc. on live patients. But his obstacle became more severe in his last year where his patient for the root canal procedure backed-out and he had a difficulty finding a replacement. With this He wasn’t able to proceed to Clinic 3 and Clinic 4 and as an effect He was not able to graduate as scheduled in 1997.

This situation in his life made him lost his momentum and quit in his studies, also because his parents could no longer afford for his tuition fee that is why. But that instance turned out to be a blessing in disguise for him as He was able to reflect on the condition. He thought that being the chapter head of SFC then, he has to be a role model to his members. He even asked himself “How could I be an Effective Leader if I hadn’t yet finished my studies?” After the said realization, He enrolled again the following semester with the help of his brother as the financier with gigantic perseverance. And finally He graduated in March 2002.

But the great fight and failures in his life didn’t stop there. In May 2002, He took the Dental board Exam without reviewing, He was very confident that he will make it because He believes that he is smart, but with that being so confident, He passed in the practical part but failed in the theoretical part of the exam which made him having a conditional status. For your information, the Dental Board Exam has two parts: theoretical and practical.

With great hope, He took the board exam again but the theoretical part only this time in December 2002. This time he just reviewed on his own but not that serious because He gave so much time attending community gatherings and meetings of SFC over reviewing for the board. Like the 1st take, He believed that he could make it this time but He was disappointingly wrong. He didn’t make it once again.

After a year, He enrolled this time in the Review Center to prepare for the May 2003 exam, He still keep attending various activities in the said community and unfortunately

He failed again the 3rd take. This time became so tedious on his part; he began questioning the Lord, He said “Lord, I have been serving YOU. Why didn’t you grant my request?” His self-esteem rapidly tumbled. He took himself away from friends and relatives, even gatherings and reunions to avoid questions.

To have a break from a stressful exam, He decided to work as a dental assistant to his friend’s clinic; He also became a project consultant for a toothpaste company. In August 2006, He tried his luck abroad; He applied at Australian Dental Council but with great frustration, he was turned down by the latter because he was not a board passer. This circumstance serve as a wake up call for him to try once again the board exam, but this time, was totally different, He took off a break from his services in the community to be totally focus in his review.

For the 4th time, he took once again the board exam, but this time with extreme confidence and determination, and with God’s goodness, He Finally Made it this time, He is now a Certified Dentist! (Congrats, Doc)

Right after He passed the Board Exam, He took up as its Post Graduate Studies, Orthodontics and Cosmetic Dentistry.

After He graduated, He was able to put up his first clinic which was officially opened on January 20, 2008 in Quezon City. And with God’s kindness, He was able to open another clinic in Makati last March 2009. According to him, He regards his profession as a service and not just an income provider; His rates are low compared to other clinics in Quezon City. He helps the patients who are short of cash; in fact, he allows them to pay the balance later. (Wow! A Good Samaritan in the Making)

Dr, Palma currently serves as a Unit head of Singles for Family and Life in Our Lady of Consolacion Parish, Mira Nila, Tandang Sora, Quezon City.

As parting words for Dr. Palma with what he went through in his life, here is what he said “What happened to me was truly a humbling experience. I realized that it is not enough to be confident or to believe in what one can do to succeed. I learned that I also have to discipline myself. Know my limitations, review and set the right priorities, strike a balance in each area of my life, do my part by taking the necessary action and allow God to take over the areas I have no control of. My failures became my greatest teacher. I learned my lessons the hard way but it was all worth it. Failures may be bitter but it made my successes sweeter.”

After reading the said story of Dr. Palma, I can’t avoid but remember my days when I am also in the state of reviewing for my Board Exam like him, I also tried everything to pass the board exam but unfortunately, I had 2 failing takes. I also questioned the Lord then because like him, I am also an active member of various religious organizations. But I realized then after that I should not question the Lord because He is doing what is just right for us.


This story gave me so much hope to strive again, in fact I’m planning right after I graduate from my Post graduate degree soon, I will try my luck again for the 3rd time. I do pray with great faith that I will make it this time like what Dr. Palma has achieved.





1 comment: