Wednesday, May 20, 2009

THE AGONY OF A HOPEFUL CPA!

It is now exactly 7:35pm on my clock, and just came from our last day of class in one of my subjects in Masteral... woooh! finally 1 subject down this summer and 1 subject still left. But that is not even a big deal!anyway, what is my topic in this blog?..uhm! ow, yap it is all about my continuing journey towards my goal of becoming a Certified Public Accountant. ( it is still a journey... why? read the succeeding paragraphs.)


Yesterday, 1,231 out of unknown number of examinees were declared newly CPA's. Wow, what is nice to hear, isn't? It's been a while when they just studied accountancy course and then tried their luck in the review for 6 months or maybe for some, more than 6 months or even years just to be included among the lists! I know that they have experienced a very tough struggle before they reached that momentum in their lives.


I am a graduate of BS Accountancy and I took that up for 5 years... for some it may seem too long, but for us, it as if that couple of years were still insufficient to know everything and be prepared for the very arduous board exam in town. I became so diligent in my studies then, I sacrificed a lot of things just to accomplished all the requirements, solved all accounting problems, studied all accounting reports, and most likely meet the expectations and pressures of my professors. all of these I did just for one purpose to be a licensed CPA.


Graduation marks the beginning of a new chapter, for graduates this may seem a start of venturing into a new life, a life within the 4 walls of huge offices, a life of facing the world of working environment. But this connotation is quite different for us, because graduation for us is just a start of great battle, a battle in facing our lives in the review school, a fight that will let us be away to our loved ones for a moment in time.


Coming May 2007, My classmates and I moved away to our new home in Manila, particularly in Espana. It was such a scary feeling the first time I stepped on the road of manila, maybe because for a fact that It is my first time to live here and also because of the environment itself. An environment that is quite dissimilar in the life in the province, but with the help of our Lord almighty, I was able to adjust myself easily and get at ease with the ambiance and the people.


The review was indeed very tiring, imagine We are going to wake up very early around 6am just to fix ourselves out and travel going to our review school which is PRTC located infront of UE, Manila Recto . Upon arriving the said school, We are going to get our reviewers for us to browse for a while and to be discussed during that day and the day after. I was very determined then at the start, but my determination was overshadowed by worries and expectations of families, relatives, friends, classmates and even my college school during the latter part of the review. I guess this is one big factor that made me so disturb during the board exam days.


October 13, 14, 20 and 21, 2007, the most awaited judgment days of all CPA reviewees, the days of our board exam. These days made our hearts beat so fast and minds so giggling... but out of it, the remarkable day for me, i guess is the last day, why? because it is also the day where i celebrate my birthday.... owwwww! what a birthday! a birthday full of prayers.... ehehehe. Prayers wishing that I will make it. During the evening, I thought my birthday would just end up like that, but i was wrong. the CPA examinees in our dorm prepared a simple farewell party for us to celebrate our last few days of stay, and the surprise in it... I was astonished because that evening as if became my birthday party, as they prepare some foods and take note,,, Richard from SLU, the Top 1 CPA Board Topnotcher then gave me a box of cake as a way of saying happy birthday... I was really touched because they made remember my day eventhough we just spend a few months together... The celebration didn't stop there, We also had some serious talks then of our plans after receiving the results,,, omg! I don't know what to say then, I just said definitely, I will celebrate and thank all the people who have prayed for me... Others said, they will spend a trip out of town to relax after a drastic review.


The day after the last day is the most crucial day of our lives, the result of the CPA Board Exam... I will never forget that moment, I was totally nervous, as if I'm competing for a pageant waiting for the winners to be announced... My whole body then was really shaking leading me not to eat my breakfast and lunch ( kaya pumayat lalo? eheh) The tense was really in its high level... Upon walking to CPAR, one of the CPA review schools, to see personally the results, I feel like an empty man not feeling anything.


Until We reached CPAR, this is it! We just said, most of the examinees were all shouting, You may hear somebody saying, "I made it!"... some were shouting very depressed saying what happen Lord!? Upon entering the vicinity of CPAR, you will be stopped by in some corridors as you see some examinees staying under the tables crying so loud as if a baby just came out from the womb of a mother. In short, variety of intense and mixed emotions really scattered the whole surroundings, and that is just normal. Upon reaching the wall were the results was posted. I rapidly look for the surnames who starts with letter "M" and with my frustration I wasn't there! WAAAAAAh! huhuhu! I askd my friend angela then how about her? She said very calmly, I also didn't made it ! ( Parang pasan namin ang daigdig nun!)


After seeing the nighmare results, We left very slowly CPAR... We were very silent while walking until I said to Angie, I guess We need a peaceful environment, We just go to UST First... UST became a witness of our crying moments then. We cried and cried until the last tears in our eyes fell down. Afterwards, We decided to come back to the dorm and upon taking the road going there, my mom unexpectedly called me, the only words I first said to my mom " Ma, Magreview ku ulit ne?" and my mom rapidly replied in a low voice " Wa" upon hearing that answer, I feel that there is still life after this... Yes! I said to myself, I am going to make it the 2nd time around.


I took up my second review at RESA Review School, one of the Top Caliber CPA Review Schools in the Philippines, but because I'm going to stay again in Manila and I need money to pay for my rent, I decided to work. With my luck, 4 days after the result in my 1st take... I was hired at Coca Cola Bottlers Phils. Inc. ( COKE) Manila as Commercial Finance Analyst. It was a very infrangible working and at the same time reviewing, it really takes a lot of efforts and time management to cope up with it... Due to the bulk of workloads, I decided to resign 3 months after... to focus on my review.


I came back to pampanga to have a self study in the weekdays and attend the review school in the weekends...My life then was full of pressures, maybe because it was already my 2nd take,,, but still Icontinued living fighting with those pressures... Until May 2008 came in the scene, the Board Exam days again, I feel so confident that I am going to make it this time, because I prepared so hard and my mind was absolutely focus that is why I was so depressed when I saw my name not in the lists again... I just didn't spoke up, I just don't know what to say with my shocked... I just said It's Gods will! He wanted this to happen.... In the first few weeks after the results, I tried to live a normal life,,, but its hard... until I decided to work again, in the Teaching Profession this time, and from then slowly I began to accept what happened.


Right now, I am taking up my Masters in Business Administration and I am enjoying studying again but still that does not stop me from hoping that someday I will also become a CPA like the 1,231 newly CPA's who were declared yesterday! I will also be seeing my printed name in that piece of bond paper!


A while ago my professor in ICT, said one quote which is somewhat related to what I shared at the moment,,, she said " Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want" what a nice quote isn't? Yes i believe that is true, if that is not meant for you that will not be given, it is not yet your time to be one... Yes It is not yet my time to become a CPA but it will be soon!









No comments:

Post a Comment