Friday, May 22, 2009

PROF. KM, NOW SIGNING ON!

" A college degree, and a teaching certificate define a person as a teacher, but it takes a hardwork and dedication to be one.- Paul McClure."

" Good teachers never say anything. What they do is create the conditions under which learning takes place.-S.I Hayakawa"

" The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can ask his pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he inspires them to ask him which he finds it hard to answer.- Alice Wellington Rollins"

"The future of the world is in my classroom today, a future with the potential for good or bad... Several future presidents are learning from me today; so are the great writers of the next decades, and so are all the so-called ordinary people who will make the decisions in a democracy. I must never forget these same young people could be the thieves and murderers of the future. Only a teacher? Thank God I have a calling to the greatest profession of all! I must be vigilant every day, lest I lose one fragile opportunity to improve tomorrow.--Ivan Welton Fitzwater"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has always been my dream to be in the academe world since childhood but God just gave it just recently... Come and Join me as I narrate my simple journey towards this profession...

I will never forget when I was still young, during my grade school days... Me, my cousins and playmates have always this simple gathering at home, not to celebrate a party or what, but to play an educational game, what is it? someone will act as a teacher and others as students... I remember then, my older cousin ( Not to mention her name...hehe) and me always fight because I wanted to be the teacher then and she also likes to be the one,,, but the short argument did stopped easily, How? We both acted the teacher, no questions asked in short... wahaha!

Years had passed, Things were continuously changing, Variety of technological inventions are coming out our way, but not for me. I still hopes that someday I will achieve this one simple dream.

Until I reached my 4th year High School and just a few months from then, I am going to face already the very crucial part of my education life, the college life... so the major task that I have to accomplish then is to choose for a course that will fit the work I want to be in the future. I have to admit that I really had a formidable time then deciding what degree I am going to pursue, why? because ideally I really wanted to take Education but my mom doesn't want it. She wanted me to take Engineering because my dad was an Engineer, she wants me to take the foot steps of my dad, but 100.1%( eje, lampas talaga ng 100%) I don't like that course... why? maybe because I'm not use with the future work of the degree after graduation, so I under went various counselings with friends and also some religious people to help me ease the pressures I am experiencing then with my family.

As time passes by, divergent courses are coming in my mind, there was this AB Psychology, AB Masscom, Banking and Finance,,, and take note, none of those passed the taste of my mom... omg! very radical...

Few days before the decison making, I was able to talk to one of my good friend of mine, Fr. Jonathan Bartolome, I asked him for some piece of advice on what to do and with great gratitude, I was able to relieved myself from the fears that is scattering all over my brain after a short meaningful conversation. I felt like releasing a kilos of stress inside my body after wards.Thanks to him! Cheers!

The day of verdict came in, while taking the steps in the vicinity of UA, going to the Guidance Office, I feel the intense nervous inside,,, hoping that I will make the right decision, my mom then don't have any idea of the course that I am going to apply. Upon arriving the guidance office, I was asked rapidly by the Guidance Counselor, what is the course you are applying for? with my shocked,I just answered " Accountancy" but in my mind It was supposed to be Economics... what a twist, isn't? I still don't know what happen then... It is as if I'm not the one who answered then It was God... It's God choice, in short! so I just trusted the Lord with that choice, so I pursued the course for 5 years and luckily I finished with flying colors...( P.S. my mom aside from Engineering do like this course too,I guess my mom prayed for this that is why...I also began to love this course after 1st Semester... wahahaha , ang bilis ng recovery!)

While taking up the course, still my dream of becoming an educator was still active... I remember, my mom told me in one of our conversations, " Eventhough, you are not an education graduate, you can teach." So I lived up to that words of my mom, it gave me somewhat the boost to hope once again...

Right after graduation and the board exam, I was given the opportunity to work as a Commercial Finance Analyst at Coca Cola B
ottler Philippines. Inc ( Manila), but I didn't last that long why? because I am longing for a work that is beyond routinary and not boring! so I decided to resign, and there came my idea of applying into a teaching job, and with luck, I was hired in two prominent schools... St. Nicolas College of Business and Technology where I taught as a full time Instructor and at STI College as a Part time....Wow, my dream became realized then... This is it! I am now an educator!

While practicing the profession, It entails a lot of sacrifices and a lottttttttttttt ( ganito karami..ehe!) of patience! my first semester was indeed very difficult, because I have to deal with different kinds of students with different personalities, but in God's Grace... Thank you, I survived! I prove then that Teaching really is not a profession but a vocation, a vocation to teach young minds and instill to them good and proper values... A great challenge! Dedication is also vital in this field, because if you don't have one, I guess you will end up deciding just to leave and moved to a new field. In addition, in the latter part of the semester, I was also given the opportunity to teach on my own Alma matter, the University of the Assumption, for a substitute status. ( astig diba? 3 schools agad, todo tinupad ang pangarap! whahaha)

Too many temptations are trying to hinder me from continuing this profession, there are a lot of reputable and known companies in the Philippines who attempts to hire me for an accounting position, in fact a while ago two companies called me and asked me if I'm available but I refused them and also the latter and still decides to go on in this job. Maybe because I am still enjoying sharing my knowledge and touching the lives of my students. But I am also very open to possibilities that sooner or later I will go back to my career field and practiced it... Teaching is just a part time job indeed but I just made it full time for a passion satisfaction!

Two weeks from no
w, I will be facing my life again in the 4 walls of classroom with my students, I know they maybe the different students I handled before, but that is the big challenge to me, to inspire and capture the minds of this new individuals and give them the proper knowledge that they deserve... definitely not serious all the time but with fun moments too... with this, Prof. KM, now signing on...


P.S. The following were some of the photos of my students at St. Nicolas College of Business and Technology last 1st and Second Semester

Meet my ever charming, talented and fabulous Advisory Class in the 2nd Semester, the BSBA-1A



Presenting the 1st Batch of BSBA Graduates.... the BSBA 4-A Batch 2009



My former advisory classes... The BSBA 3A and 3B






1 comment:

  1. Hi Friends, Enjoy reading My Personal Journey Towards Teaching Life... Feel Free to leave some comments... Godbless!

    ReplyDelete